June 2007

________________________________________________________________________

One of the most difficult problems I had to overcome was how to make the transmission shift. When these cars were built in the past, they had in-out boxes and were directly connected to the crankshaft with no clutch.

After trying different ways to use the shift lever, I finally decided to try another approach. I took the top off the transmission and connected directly to the shift rails by welding 3/16 rod to the rails.

 

   

 

Then I threaded the rods and added joints to them. The next problem was to determine the correct length for the levers to connect to the shift rails. This was a trial and error thing, so I used paint sticks to get the proper ratio.

 

                                     

 

That saved me a lot of work and metal.

 

                                                                                     

 

                I was going to make a shifter,but I decided to look on E-Bay for one and I found a Hurst 3 speed shifter with no linkage. This would work great, but it would shift backwards unless I could reverse the motion of the linkage. The solution was to weld a stud to the frame and add a bellcrank. This worked , and what was one of the major problems with this project was finnaly solved.

 

                                                                                                                        

 

After the shifter problem, I thought the worst problem was behind me, but I was wrong. The car was just to short. This was not a problem with the old Bonneville race cars, because they had an in-out box , no radiator, no brake pedal, it was hand operated, and the driver had his knees in his face. I wanted to drive this car, that`s why it has a transmission and a radiator. The only way was to cut the thing in half and add 18" to the center of the body, but to make the body look correct,this was going to take some work on the English wheel.

HOME    NEXT