Time to clean out the garage.

I`m cleaning out the garage to make room for new projects so the trailer must go.

$5,500

Contact me @ 336-272-0869

 

The Tear Drop Trailer

___________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________

 

To those of you who have been looking at our website over the last few months and asked why I haven`t updated it more often, this is the reason. I know it doesn`t look it should take months to build, but it did. Steve and I started to build the trailer in July and by August, we thought we would be finished in a couple of weeks. This was not to be. The frame was simple and the dropped axle should have just bolted in, but it had not been welded up as it should have been so one wheel was farther forward than the other. It had to be cut apart and welded back together  correctly.   The sides were cut out of cabinet grade plywood and mounted on the chassis and the sides tied together with 1"x1" wood. One eigth inch plywood was used on the top, but when we tried to bend it, we found that we couldn`t follow the curve of the sides without breaking it. I had a piece or stainless steel lying around the shop so we decided to use it for the front section. This served to eliminate two problems, first it would protect the front of the trailer from rocks and other road hazards, and we could bend it around the tightest curve on the trailer.We used the 1/8th" plywood on the rest of the top . The lower rear section had a very tight curve, so the plywood was soaked with water and wraped around a welding gas cylinder with straps until it dried. This completed the main body of the trailer, but the edges needed some trim, so back to Lowes to buy some poplar boards. These were trimmed to shape with a band saw and fastened to the sides from inside with screws and wood glue.Things still looked unfinished, so I suggested using some screen moulding,on the outside of the trim boards. These were first soaked in water, and then glued to the outer edges of the trim using "c" clamps.Ok, now we`ve been into the project for about three weeks, and all that is left to do is make the door, stain and refinish the wood and wire the lights. 

                                                                                                                                                                                                         

The Door

_______________________________________________

The door was the most complicated part of the trailer. First the side trim was cut to shape, then a groove was cut in each piece with a router. The 1/8th" plywood was inserted into the groove, but it didn`t want to stay in place.We then took 5- 3/4" dowels and drilled holes half way thru the side pieces and once again tried to put things togther again. It just didn`t have the strength or ridgity that it needed. We next made 4 ribs in the shape of the sides and drilled holes for the dowels to pass through. This was done by clamping the ribs togther and drilling them with the drill press so all of the holes would be aligned correctly. Once again we put everything togther and this time it seemed to work. The door now resembled an airplane wing, the kind you built as a kid, out of balsa wood. After placing it on the trailer, it fit, sort of. Well it covered up the hole, but it took some trimming to get it the way we wanted it. It still looke unfinished underneath so I used more screen moulding strips and nailed then in place with copper nails. Steve wanted the trailer to look old so it would match his woody wagon. We used '49 Ford trunk hinges for the door. This would have worked better if we had bolted them on before the finish was applied.( more on that later.) The marker lights on the top are`36 Buick parking lights donated by Bill Hampton, and the lenses by Richard Beggs, Thanks guys! The fenders were bought at the Charlotte Auto Fair a couple of years ago and were of unknown vintage and make. They were in need of much work, but Steve ironed them out and painted them to match his car. When the fenders were bolted to the sides of the trailer, they bowed the trailer sides out just enough for the door not to fit.We didn`t notice this until we tried to install the door. Now matter how we tried, it just wouldn`t fit correctly. It fit just fine without the hinges, but when they were installed, the door would get in a bind. I know you think all we should have to do was enlarge the holes for the hinges and it should fit, but that didn`t work. Without going into any more details,  cuss, sand, file, cuss, gouge,scrape, throw things and cuss some more,we were finnaly able to get the door on the trailer.I know it shouldn`t have taken almost six months to build this, but we didn`t work on it every day. We are both back working on the Studebaker and the Tank and will have some more updates soon. Thanks for looking, Jeff McCain

 

Home

 

  More Pictures